Report A Poacher

Atlantic Outdoors Magazine requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.

Get Adobe Acrobat Reader

NSFAH Position on Hydrologic Fracturing

Jun-06-2011:

THe following comments were submitted to the Nova Scota Department of the Environment, public review process. Members of the NSFAH executive will be meeting the Minister on 14 June.


At the Annual General Meeting of the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers & Hunter in March of 2011 a resolution was passed
opposing Hydrologic Fracturing as a method of exploration and extraction.


Our position is based on a concern for the ecology of the Province of Nova Scotia and the detrimental effects, known and suspected, that “Fracking” will have on it.


 


Our primary concern is the effects on fresh water and the drinking water supply. It has been well documented in several Provinces and many of the United States that “fracking” results in drinking water contamination. The process of pumping millions of liters of fracking fluid, which contains hazardous chemicals, into the ground represents a real threat to our drinking water supply. The fact that only about 10% of this fluid is recovered and the other 90% has the potential to migrate to the surface represents a threat to our fresh water system of streams, rivers and lakes and the whole spectrum of wildlife that they support.


 


These threats are exacerbated by the fact that the fluid will be transported over our highway system on the way to the well site and the recovered fluid must be transported back for shipment to a treatment facility, none of which exist in Nova Scotia. The risk of spills spreads the threat far beyond the well site.


 


In addition to our concern with the impact on our water resources we are concerned with the negative impact clearing land to create well sites and the new roads required to service them. The well site will require enough cleared space to store millions of liters of fracking fluid and the recovered fluid, as well as all the equipment and casings required to drill a well. These roads and well sites will have a negative impact on the wildlife of Nova Scotia through loss of habitat and interruption to travel corridors. The increased road access will result in greater human activity which has a negative impact on wildlife, in particular the Endangered Mainland Moose which is very sensitive to noise from people, vehicles and equipment.


 


The threats posed by Hydrologic Fracturing far outweigh any benefit to be realized from the process. Our eco system is far too delicate to accept this process of exploration for marginal return, if any.


 


 


W.J. Woods


President


Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers & Hunters